Forums

SD C6713 with daugtherboard - power supply

Started by claudiomail113 January 11, 2006
Hi everybody,
I'm new in this group and I have no experience in programming dsp.

I have a TMS320C6713 DSK board from Spectrum Digital that can be
connected to the pc using USB port and a daughterboard AED-103 from
Signalware with 16 ADC and 2 DAC.

I have 2 questions:

- the DSK must be supplied with +/-12V through the ausiliary power
connector J6 (also +5V) and I thought to use a standard PC's ATX power
supply that gives me +/-12V , +/-5V and +3.3V. The problem is that I
don't know how much current the DSK and the daughterboard need. A
normal PC's ATX 400W power supply gives:
5V 35A
12V 16A
-12V 0.8A
I think it's sufficient for the 5V and 12V lines but I'm not sure
it'll be sufficient for the -12V line. Does anyone have an idea how
much current the -12V line needs? Is it a good idea to use a PC's ATX
power supply?

- The first work I have to do for my thesis is to import the data of
16 microphones that will be sampled by the 16 ADC of the
daughterboard. I thought that I could transfer this data to the PC
through the USB port of the DSK (connected to the PC) to analyze them
using matlab. Is it possible? Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you for your help
Claudio



Claudio,

--- claudiomail113 <claudiomail113@clau...> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm new in this group and I have no experience in
> programming dsp.
>
> I have a TMS320C6713 DSK board from Spectrum Digital
> that can be
> connected to the pc using USB port and a
> daughterboard AED-103 from
> Signalware with 16 ADC and 2 DAC.
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> - the DSK must be supplied with +/-12V through the
> ausiliary power
> connector J6 (also +5V) and I thought to use a
> standard PC's ATX power
> supply that gives me +/-12V , +/-5V and +3.3V. The
> problem is that I
> don't know how much current the DSK and the
> daughterboard need. A
> normal PC's ATX 400W power supply gives:
> 5V 35A
> 12V 16A
> -12V 0.8A
> I think it's sufficient for the 5V and 12V lines
> but I'm not sure
> it'll be sufficient for the -12V line. Does anyone
> have an idea how
> much current the -12V line needs?
The only user [if any] of -12v would be the
daughtercard. It should have a specification for the
-12v, although I am confident that it doesn't exceed
800ma.

> Is it a good idea
> to use a PC's ATX
> power supply?
It is economical, widely available, and proven.

>
> - The first work I have to do for my thesis is to
> import the data of
> 16 microphones that will be sampled by the 16 ADC of
> the
> daughterboard. I thought that I could transfer this
> data to the PC
> through the USB port of the DSK (connected to the
> PC) to analyze them
> using matlab. Is it possible?
Not really. The USB on the 6713 appears to be
dedicated to the debug JTAG port - you cannot use it
as a general purpose USB port.

> Do you have any
> suggestion?
TI's web site shows a third party [educational DSP]
that has an economical HPI card. [I keep telling
myself that I am going to evaluate it someday...]

http://www.educationaldsp.com/stockproduct_dsk6xxxhpi.htm

mikedunn
>
> Thank you for your help
> Claudio > c6x-unsubscribe@c6x-...