Forums

CCS C5000 version 2.2

Started by torgeirjakobsen March 27, 2003
Hi

I have just upgraded the Code Composer Studio C5000 to version 2.2,
but we have problems generating code with this new version. Texas has
done changes in their code generation tools (compiler,linker etc). I
tried to copy the old code generation files to the new cgtools\bin
folder, and the program worked as it should after a rebuild of my
project. So, it is obviously something new here. Do anyone know what
the problem is ?

Best regards
Torgeir Jakobsen




I asked the same question to the EPIC, because after compiling with CCS 2.2
my project didn't fit in the IPRAM. It seems that the new CCS adds more
debug information to the output, so the code size is larger. Since I don't
know what problems you are experiencing, try to adjust compiling and linking
options until everything is as it should. Regards

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: torgeirjakobsen [mailto:]
> Enviado el: jueves, 27 de marzo de 2003 13:02
> Para:
> Asunto: [code-comp] CCS C5000 version 2.2 > Hi
>
> I have just upgraded the Code Composer Studio C5000 to version 2.2,
> but we have problems generating code with this new version. Texas has
> done changes in their code generation tools (compiler,linker etc). I
> tried to copy the old code generation files to the new cgtools\bin
> folder, and the program worked as it should after a rebuild of my
> project. So, it is obviously something new here. Do anyone know what
> the problem is ?
>
> Best regards
> Torgeir Jakobsen > _____________________________________
> Note: If you do a simple "reply" with your email client, only the
> author of this message will receive your answer. You need to do
> a "reply all" if you want your answer to be distributed to the
> entire group.
>
> _____________________________________
> About this discussion group:
>
> To Join:
>
> To Post:
>
> To Leave:
>
> Archives: http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/code-comp
>
> More Groups: http://www.dsprelated.com > ">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Pablo-

> I asked the same question to the EPIC, because after compiling with CCS 2.2
> my project didn't fit in the IPRAM. It seems that the new CCS adds more
> debug information to the output, so the code size is larger. Since I don't
> know what problems you are experiencing, try to adjust compiling and linking
> options until everything is as it should. Regards

CCS v2.2 must be adding something else besides debug info, which is normally
symbols,
line numbers, etc. stored in the text areas of the COFF file with no effect on
code
size.

Did you find out more specifically what v2.2 is adding? Maybe DSP/BIOS or other
library routines you are using increased in size?

Jeff Brower
DSP sw/hw engineer
Signalogic > > -----Mensaje original-----
> > De: torgeirjakobsen [mailto:]
> > Enviado el: jueves, 27 de marzo de 2003 13:02
> > Para:
> > Asunto: [code-comp] CCS C5000 version 2.2
> >
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have just upgraded the Code Composer Studio C5000 to version 2.2,
> > but we have problems generating code with this new version. Texas has
> > done changes in their code generation tools (compiler,linker etc). I
> > tried to copy the old code generation files to the new cgtools\bin
> > folder, and the program worked as it should after a rebuild of my
> > project. So, it is obviously something new here. Do anyone know what
> > the problem is ?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Torgeir Jakobsen




Jeff,

sorry for the delay answering your question. Analyzing the memory maps,
I've found that the .bios section is larger in the code generated with
CCS2.2 than in the CCS2.10 (0x4a00 vs 0x4840), which doesn't make sense if
only debug info is added. Maybe the conversion of the .cdb file results in
unwanted objects and functions to be linked. Anyway, the difference is not
significant.

But also the .text section is slightly larger (about 1.3%) in CCS2.2, and
even more when I add the projects of the libraries I use as dependent
projects of the main one (that shouldn't have any effect, since the code is
already linked in the lib). Actually this is what takes me aback of the new
release.

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: Jeff Brower [mailto:]
> Enviado el: jueves, 27 de marzo de 2003 17:45
> Para: Pablo Fraile
> CC: torgeirjakobsen;
> Asunto: Re: [code-comp] CCS C5000 version 2.2 > Pablo-
>
> > I asked the same question to the EPIC, because after compiling
> with CCS 2.2
> > my project didn't fit in the IPRAM. It seems that the new CCS adds more
> > debug information to the output, so the code size is larger.
> Since I don't
> > know what problems you are experiencing, try to adjust
> compiling and linking
> > options until everything is as it should. Regards
>
> CCS v2.2 must be adding something else besides debug info, which
> is normally symbols,
> line numbers, etc. stored in the text areas of the COFF file with
> no effect on code
> size.
>
> Did you find out more specifically what v2.2 is adding? Maybe
> DSP/BIOS or other
> library routines you are using increased in size?
>
> Jeff Brower
> DSP sw/hw engineer
> Signalogic


Pablo-

Well, I guess even TI is subject to some "code creep" or code-bloat, as they add
new
features. Normally that complaint is reserved for Microsoft software :-) So,
depending on your point of view, either TI is catching up to u$, or they are
getting
away from their lean/mean DSP roots.

-Jeff Pablo Fraile wrote:
>
> Jeff,
>
> sorry for the delay answering your question. Analyzing the memory
maps,
> I've found that the .bios section is larger in the code generated with
> CCS2.2 than in the CCS2.10 (0x4a00 vs 0x4840), which doesn't make sense if
> only debug info is added. Maybe the conversion of the .cdb file results in
> unwanted objects and functions to be linked. Anyway, the difference is not
> significant.
>
> But also the .text section is slightly larger (about 1.3%) in CCS2.2,
and
> even more when I add the projects of the libraries I use as dependent
> projects of the main one (that shouldn't have any effect, since the code is
> already linked in the lib). Actually this is what takes me aback of the new
> release.
>
> > -----Mensaje original-----
> > De: Jeff Brower [mailto:]
> > Enviado el: jueves, 27 de marzo de 2003 17:45
> > Para: Pablo Fraile
> > CC: torgeirjakobsen;
> > Asunto: Re: [code-comp] CCS C5000 version 2.2
> >
> >
> > Pablo-
> >
> > > I asked the same question to the EPIC, because after compiling
> > with CCS 2.2
> > > my project didn't fit in the IPRAM. It seems that the new CCS adds more
> > > debug information to the output, so the code size is larger.
> > Since I don't
> > > know what problems you are experiencing, try to adjust
> > compiling and linking
> > > options until everything is as it should. Regards
> >
> > CCS v2.2 must be adding something else besides debug info, which
> > is normally symbols,
> > line numbers, etc. stored in the text areas of the COFF file with
> > no effect on code
> > size.
> >
> > Did you find out more specifically what v2.2 is adding? Maybe
> > DSP/BIOS or other
> > library routines you are using increased in size?
> >
> > Jeff Brower
> > DSP sw/hw engineer
> > Signalogic