Forums

dynamic compression/noisegating/sound schemes

Started by Thomas Pototschnig August 7, 2004
hi NG

I want to develop an small extern device with a small DSP for improving
audio with dynamic compression, noise gating and sound schemes.
But before I can start with the hardware and software of the DSP I want to
test different algorithms on the PC.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything which can help me for this project in
the internet.

Now my question:
Does anyone know good sources (web sites, explanations,...) for different
audio filters?

Thx in advance

Thomas




http://www.musicdsp.com/  + google  == your best friend baby !!! ... go 
to town!!!

sammy d


Thomas Pototschnig wrote:

> hi NG > > I want to develop an small extern device with a small DSP for improving > audio with dynamic compression, noise gating and sound schemes. > But before I can start with the hardware and software of the DSP I want to > test different algorithms on the PC. > > Unfortunately I didn't find anything which can help me for this project in > the internet. > > Now my question: > Does anyone know good sources (web sites, explanations,...) for different > audio filters? > > Thx in advance > > Thomas > > > >
wow - thx for the link -

I didn't found it although I asked google a lot of questions :)

Thomas

"sammyd" <sammyd@ratpack.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:CWdRc.50579$Vm1.1343021@news20.bellglobal.com...
> http://www.musicdsp.com/ + google == your best friend baby !!! ... go > to town!!! > > sammy d > > > Thomas Pototschnig wrote: > > > hi NG > > > > I want to develop an small extern device with a small DSP for improving > > audio with dynamic compression, noise gating and sound schemes. > > But before I can start with the hardware and software of the DSP I want
to
> > test different algorithms on the PC. > > > > Unfortunately I didn't find anything which can help me for this project
in
> > the internet. > > > > Now my question: > > Does anyone know good sources (web sites, explanations,...) for
different
> > audio filters? > > > > Thx in advance > > > > Thomas > > > > > > > > >
musicdsp should have a lot of code (look in the archives)
that you should be able to get up and running on a PC in C/C++

that in tandem with papers @ 
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html

should help you

best,
the samster davis.

Thomas Pototschnig wrote:
> wow - thx for the link - > > I didn't found it although I asked google a lot of questions :) > > Thomas > > "sammyd" <sammyd@ratpack.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:CWdRc.50579$Vm1.1343021@news20.bellglobal.com... > >>http://www.musicdsp.com/ + google == your best friend baby !!! ... go >>to town!!! >> >>sammy d >> >> >>Thomas Pototschnig wrote: >> >> >>>hi NG >>> >>>I want to develop an small extern device with a small DSP for improving >>>audio with dynamic compression, noise gating and sound schemes. >>>But before I can start with the hardware and software of the DSP I want > > to > >>>test different algorithms on the PC. >>> >>>Unfortunately I didn't find anything which can help me for this project > > in > >>>the internet. >>> >>>Now my question: >>>Does anyone know good sources (web sites, explanations,...) for > > different > >>>audio filters? >>> >>>Thx in advance >>> >>>Thomas >>> >>> >>> >>> >> > >
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:26:05 +0200, "Thomas Pototschnig"
<thomas.pototschnig@gmx.de> wrote:

>hi NG > >I want to develop an small extern device with a small DSP for improving >audio with dynamic compression, noise gating and sound schemes. >But before I can start with the hardware and software of the DSP I want to >test different algorithms on the PC. > >Unfortunately I didn't find anything which can help me for this project in >the internet. > >Now my question: >Does anyone know good sources (web sites, explanations,...) for different >audio filters?
Look on http://www.harmony-central.com and see what's there. I'm not sure what all you're asking - what are 'sound schemes' and what sort of audio do you want to 'improve' with dynamic compression/expansion?
>Thx in advance > >Thomas > > >
----- http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Thx for you
> > Look on http://www.harmony-central.com and see what's there. > > I'm not sure what all you're asking - what are 'sound schemes' and > what sort of audio do you want to 'improve' with dynamic > compression/expansion? >
uhm - sound schemes - Sorry my mother tongue is not English - I'll try to explain. Imagine you have got a graphic equalizer for adjusting the amplification of different frequencies and there are some certain "schemes" for different audio genres like pop or jazz or classic or just flat. For example in a classic scheme it is not wanted to amplify the bass (I don't know whether this is right but it's just a sample). The device I want to build is supposed to be plugged between a PC and my stereo. For instance Dynamic compression is very useful for watching DVD because the dynamic level between talking people and exploding bombs is far too high. I have to adjust the volume all the time :-( Moreover I have a lot of music which isn't very high in quality and the device should normalize it and compress the dynamic and so on ... Actually - There is a DSP winamp plugin from octiv.com which is called octimax and this does everything I need in real-time. But I don't want to use it on my PC because I could really need this device in my car as well. I hope you understood what I tried to explain :-) Thomas
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:06:43 +0200, "Thomas Pototschnig"
<thomas.pototschnig@gmx.de> wrote:

>Thx for you >> >> Look on http://www.harmony-central.com and see what's there. >> >> I'm not sure what all you're asking - what are 'sound schemes' and >> what sort of audio do you want to 'improve' with dynamic >> compression/expansion? >> > >uhm - sound schemes - Sorry my mother tongue is not English - I'll try to >explain. >Imagine you have got a graphic equalizer for adjusting the amplification of >different frequencies and there are some certain "schemes" for different >audio genres like pop or jazz or classic or just flat.
Oh, I see, different EQ 'preset' setttings. I've seen that in Winamp's EQ.
>For example in a classic scheme it is not wanted to amplify the bass (I >don't know whether this is right but it's just a sample). > >The device I want to build is supposed to be plugged between a PC and my >stereo. For instance Dynamic compression is very useful for watching DVD >because the dynamic level between talking people and exploding bombs is far >too high.
But how else would the movie producer scare you out of your seat? :)
>I have to adjust the volume all the time :-( >Moreover I have a lot of music which isn't very high in quality and the >device should normalize it and compress the dynamic and so on ... > >Actually - There is a DSP winamp plugin from octiv.com which is called >octimax and this does everything I need in real-time. But I don't want to >use it on my PC because I could really need this device in my car as well. > >I hope you understood what I tried to explain :-)
Yes, I do now. This seems like an ambitious project, writing DSP code just to make a few boxes to do dynamic range compression and EQ. This is the kind of thing people get paid real money to do. But there should be plenty of algorithms on the Web. Did you look at harmony-central? Also, go to http://groups.google.com, then click advanced serarch, where you can find older posts here on comp.dsp which discuss these things.
> > >Thomas >
----- http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
On 2004-08-08 17:06:43 +0200, "Thomas Pototschnig" 
<thomas.pototschnig@gmx.de> said:

> Actually - There is a DSP winamp plugin from octiv.com which is called > octimax and this does everything I need in real-time. But I don't want to > use it on my PC because I could really need this device in my car as well.
Why don't you simply process your music with the kind of DSP you need and then burn a CD with the compressed version of it so you can use it in your car? That's far easier than carrying a DSP device around... -- Stephan M. Bernsee http://www.dspdimension.com
And where would be the fun of developing a device which uses a DSP? :-)

In this point you might be right - I really could pre-process my music for
the use in my car but I still have the problem with my DVDs :)

More important is to start developing with a DSP and to learn interesting
algorithms to understand how stuff works.
I have experience with microprocessors and microcontrolers but I didn't know
anything about DSPs - I though this project would be suitable for getting
started with DSPs :-)

Thomas
> > Why don't you simply process your music with the kind of DSP you need > and then burn a CD with the compressed version of it so you can use it > in your car? That's far easier than carrying a DSP device around... > -- > Stephan M. Bernsee > http://www.dspdimension.com >
On 2004-08-09 09:18:54 +0200, "Thomas Pototschnig" 
<thomas.pototschnig@gmx.de> said:

> And where would be the fun of developing a device which uses a DSP? :-)
Yeah sure, if you want to learn how to do it anyway that's ok.
> In this point you might be right - I really could pre-process my music for > the use in my car but I still have the problem with my DVDs :)
Well, you're not telling me you're watching a DVD when driving?? ;-)
> More important is to start developing with a DSP and to learn interesting > algorithms to understand how stuff works. > I have experience with microprocessors and microcontrolers but I didn't know > anything about DSPs - I though this project would be suitable for getting > started with DSPs :-)
Yes, it certainly is! -- Stephan M. Bernsee http://www.dspdimension.com