Forums

Xtreme DSP Development Kit JTAG problem

Started by Bryan April 19, 2007
Hi all, I m using the Xtreme DSP Development Kit 2 with Viretex 2
XC2V3000-4FG676 FPGA.

While doing JTAG cosimulation in Simulink, i got an error message:"Error
configuring  device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration.
Check that the cable, scan chain and power connections are intact, that the
specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware,and that the
power supply is adequateand delivering the correct voltage." Thanks for the
help.


"Bryan" <sfoo@xilinx.com> writes:

> Hi all, I m using the Xtreme DSP Development Kit 2 with Viretex 2 > XC2V3000-4FG676 FPGA. > > While doing JTAG cosimulation in Simulink, i got an error message:"Error > configuring device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. > Check that the cable, scan chain and power connections are intact, that the > specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware,and that the > power supply is adequateand delivering the correct voltage." Thanks for the > help. >
Hi Bryan, You'll still be better off on comp.arch.fpga I think... or even better opening a Webcase with Xilinx. however.... I assume you have all the Xilinx tools installed. Can you run Impact (which is a standalone programmer) and scan the chain? Until that works, you stand no chance of getting any further... Daft question... Do you have the programming cable plugged in at both ends? And the drivers installed? I'm sure Xilinx have a checklist of questions to ask for this sort of problem - I'm just thinking out loud while my latest FPGA compiles... again! Cheers, Martin -- martin.j.thompson@trw.com TRW Conekt - Consultancy in Engineering, Knowledge and Technology http://www.conekt.net/electronics.html
Bryan wrote:
> Hi all, I m using the Xtreme DSP Development Kit 2 with Viretex 2 > XC2V3000-4FG676 FPGA. > > While doing JTAG cosimulation in Simulink, i got an error message:"Error > configuring device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. > Check that the cable, scan chain and power connections are intact, that the > specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware,and that the > power supply is adequateand delivering the correct voltage." Thanks for the > help.
Hah! I _just_ had this exact same problem: I got this error from System Generator, but I was able to use iMPACT to configure, then run the simulation if I checked the 'Skip Configuration' box in the advanced tab of the model properties dialog. When you ask System Generator to configure your FPGA for you, it writes a command batch file into the current directory and invokes iMPACT to do the configuration. iMPACT writes a logfile named _impactbatch.log which should give you a clue about what went wrong. In my case the problem was that I was running System Generator in my user directory "C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\..." and iMPACT doesn't like to have spaces in the path to the bitstream. Moving my System Generator working directory up to C:\ so it didn't have any spaces in the name solved the problem. Eric
Hi, How do you configure in iMPACT. Because I am doing hardware-in-the-loop 
cosimulation so I am actually in simulink environment with my design 
connected to a generated JTAG co-simulation block which stands for the 
hardware portion.


"Eric Brombaugh" <ebrombaugh.invalid.@earthlink.net> wrote in message 
news:YyNVh.1825$Ut6.1596@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Bryan wrote: >> Hi all, I m using the Xtreme DSP Development Kit 2 with Viretex 2 >> XC2V3000-4FG676 FPGA. >> >> While doing JTAG cosimulation in Simulink, i got an error message:"Error >> configuring device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. >> Check that the cable, scan chain and power connections are intact, that >> the >> specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware,and that >> the >> power supply is adequateand delivering the correct voltage." Thanks for >> the >> help. > > Hah! I _just_ had this exact same problem: I got this error from System > Generator, but I was able to use iMPACT to configure, then run the > simulation if I checked the 'Skip Configuration' box in the advanced tab > of the model properties dialog. > > When you ask System Generator to configure your FPGA for you, it writes a > command batch file into the current directory and invokes iMPACT to do the > configuration. iMPACT writes a logfile named _impactbatch.log which should > give you a clue about what went wrong. > > In my case the problem was that I was running System Generator in my user > directory "C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\..." and iMPACT > doesn't like to have spaces in the path to the bitstream. Moving my System > Generator working directory up to C:\ so it didn't have any spaces in the > name solved the problem. > > Eric
Hi, I try to configure in iMPACT by doing this:
        ---- Starting a new proj in iMPACT and select configure device via 
boundary scan JTAG.

However i get this message:"idcode read from device does not match idcode in 
bsdl file"

I hope this is the way you configured through iMPACT instead of System 
Generator though..

Anyway thanks for the help before , i try to move the SysGen file to C:\ so 
first problem solved but then now simulating, i have error message as well: 
"Programming cable not found"
"Bryan" <sfoo@xilinx.com> wrote in message 
news:f0k7li$kk72@cnn.xsj.xilinx.com...
> Hi, How do you configure in iMPACT. Because I am doing > hardware-in-the-loop cosimulation so I am actually in simulink environment > with my design connected to a generated JTAG co-simulation block which > stands for the hardware portion. > > > "Eric Brombaugh" <ebrombaugh.invalid.@earthlink.net> wrote in message > news:YyNVh.1825$Ut6.1596@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... >> Bryan wrote: >>> Hi all, I m using the Xtreme DSP Development Kit 2 with Viretex 2 >>> XC2V3000-4FG676 FPGA. >>> >>> While doing JTAG cosimulation in Simulink, i got an error message:"Error >>> configuring device: A problem may exist in the hardware configuration. >>> Check that the cable, scan chain and power connections are intact, that >>> the >>> specified scan chain configuration matches the actual hardware,and that >>> the >>> power supply is adequateand delivering the correct voltage." Thanks for >>> the >>> help. >> >> Hah! I _just_ had this exact same problem: I got this error from System >> Generator, but I was able to use iMPACT to configure, then run the >> simulation if I checked the 'Skip Configuration' box in the advanced tab >> of the model properties dialog. >> >> When you ask System Generator to configure your FPGA for you, it writes a >> command batch file into the current directory and invokes iMPACT to do >> the configuration. iMPACT writes a logfile named _impactbatch.log which >> should give you a clue about what went wrong. >> >> In my case the problem was that I was running System Generator in my user >> directory "C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\..." and iMPACT >> doesn't like to have spaces in the path to the bitstream. Moving my >> System Generator working directory up to C:\ so it didn't have any spaces >> in the name solved the problem. >> >> Eric > >
Bryan wrote:
> Hi, I try to configure in iMPACT by doing this: > ---- Starting a new proj in iMPACT and select configure device via > boundary scan JTAG. > > However i get this message:"idcode read from device does not match idcode in > bsdl file"
That usually means that the JTAG clock speed is too fast. Select a lower clock speed.
> I hope this is the way you configured through iMPACT instead of System > Generator though.. > > Anyway thanks for the help before , i try to move the SysGen file to C:\ so > first problem solved but then now simulating, i have error message as well: > "Programming cable not found"
Is your programming cable set correctly in the 'Cable' tab of the model properties? Eric