Forums

Need help on meaning of these terminology of reed-muller code.

Started by kongp August 18, 2007
Hi,


 I want to know meaning of the word below:
  -  "Self dual"   , What's for?
  -  "Dual code"   ,What's for?
  -  "Soft decision"  ,What's for?
  and what's about algebraic code ?
        what's about equivalent relation in the coding theory?


Thamk for your help,
Phongphan porana.
phongphanp@yahoo.com

On Aug 18, 2:15 pm, kongp <phongphan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, > > I want to know meaning of the word below: > - "Self dual" , What's for? > - "Dual code" ,What's for? > - "Soft decision" ,What's for? > and what's about algebraic code ? > what's about equivalent relation in the coding theory? > > Thamk for your help, > Phongphan porana. > phongph...@yahoo.com
If you just want the definitions: - A dual code: a code that is in the null/dual space of a given code, in the appropriate space. Any codeword of a code is orthogonal to any codeword from its dual code. - A self-dual code is if its dual code is itself. - Soft-decision: there's some abuse of definition, but usually this means the likelihood ratio of the most likely bits, or sequence of bits that give a codeword. What for? Self-dual codes are important because some of the best codes known are of this type, and one can study them using the self-dual property. http://www.research.att.com/~njas/doc/self.ps These are questions best answered through a coding theory book. You don't say what your background is, so I don't know what exactly to recommend. Julius
On Aug 19, 3:16 am, julius <juli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2:15 pm, kongp <phongphan...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > I want to know meaning of the word below: > > - "Self dual" , What's for? > > - "Dual code" ,What's for? > > - "Soft decision" ,What's for? > > and what's about algebraic code ? > > what's about equivalent relation in the coding theory? > > > Thamk for your help, > > Phongphan porana. > > phongph...@yahoo.com > > If you just want the definitions: > > - A dual code: a code that is in the null/dual space of a > given code, in the appropriate space. Any codeword > of a code is orthogonal to any codeword from its dual > code. > > - A self-dual code is if its dual code is itself. > > - Soft-decision: there's some abuse of definition, but > usually this means the likelihood ratio of the most > likely bits, or sequence of bits that give a codeword. > > What for? Self-dual codes are important because some > of the best codes known are of this type, and one can > study them using the self-dual property. > > http://www.research.att.com/~njas/doc/self.ps > > These are questions best answered through a coding > theory book. You don't say what your background is, > so I don't know what exactly to recommend. > > Julius
First, Thank for your quickly response. But, I think that your hints is not practical(more mathematical theory) for beginner like me , one like in most books , and there are other approach ? Such as One may have simple example and simple litle prctical useage for this themes. and continually, I want to ask about meanning of these word: - syndome - erasure - error-location polynomial and programming suit for large node than hardware approach , right? Best regard, Phongphan Porana. phongphanp@yahoo.com
On Aug 18, 3:50 pm, kongp <phongphan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, Thank for your quickly response. > > But, I think that your hints is not practical(more mathematical > theory) for beginner like me > , one like in most books , and there are other approach ? Such as One > may have simple example and simple litle prctical useage for this > themes. and continually, I want to ask about meanning of these word: > > - syndome > - erasure > - error-location polynomial > > and programming suit for large node than hardware approach , right? > > Best regard, > Phongphan Porana. > phongph...@yahoo.com
You don't say at all what your background is, but regardless what you are asking about is not a trivial area. So you can continue to expect a "simple" answer, but I don't know if you will ever find a "simple" answer. I am going to assume that you at least know some digital logic and a little bit of algebra. In that case, Blahut's book "Algebraic Codes for Data Transmission" is quite good. I don't know if there's anything more elementary that doesn't reduce the knowledge into something not useful, sorry. Good luck. Julius
On Aug 19, 6:15 am, julius <juli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 18, 3:50 pm, kongp <phongphan...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > First, Thank for your quickly response. > > > But, I think that your hints is not practical(more mathematical > > theory) for beginner like me > > , one like in most books , and there are other approach ? Such as One > > may have simple example and simple litle prctical useage for this > > themes. and continually, I want to ask about meanning of these word: > > > - syndome > > - erasure > > - error-location polynomial > > > and programming suit for large node than hardware approach , right? > > > Best regard, > > Phongphan Porana. > > phongph...@yahoo.com > > You don't say at all what your background is, but regardless > what you are asking about is not a trivial area. So you can > continue to expect a "simple" answer, but I don't know if you > will ever find a "simple" answer. > > I am going to assume that you at least know some digital > logic and a little bit of algebra. In that case, Blahut's book > "Algebraic Codes for Data Transmission" is quite good. > I don't know if there's anything more elementary that doesn't > reduce the knowledge into something not useful, sorry. > > Good luck. > Julius- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
OK, I'm an electronic engineer that interesting in science and Technology : Algebra(linear code) Topology(for dual code) Complex Number Telecommunication( Optic fibre , RF ) Physics chemical process Image processing Signal processing(Sound,acoustics) etc. and your answer is only an explain in abstract mathematical definitions like in mathematics dictionary. the meaning is not clear in real world, one had to be define on primary mathematical ideas, so your definite be only approximately of any idea, right . It's useful when Programming is on, I'm admit in that point. and I'm suspect idea on what's "orthogonal" ? and why best codes come from self-dual code ? If it's not wasteful time, The answer may in another form, physics or technical term. Thank you very much... phongphan Porana. phongphanp@yahoo.com