Forums

Re: Tasking debugger

Started by Graeme Fisher February 6, 2003
Hi,

Regarding the Tasking Cross view debugger:

Our company in looking into aquiring a CrossView debugger for the
MOT56xxx devices. Does anyone use one of these? If so, does it ship with
hardware to connect to the target board or do we also have to buy extra
hardware? I assume if we do it would be from motorola? Is this correct?
ADS?

Cheers
Graeme



Graeme,

All the Tasking tools should be compatible with the available Suite56
Command Converters (Parallel Port and PCI). I think you've mentioned
before that you currently have a Parallel Port version correct? If so
you should have all the interface hardware required.

Have you looked at the Suite56 tools yet? I've never personally used
the Tasking ones so I couldn't give any comparison. However, I do that
there is a huge difference in cost. The Suite56 tools are free. ;)

http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Embedded/suite56.htm

--- Graeme Fisher <> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the Tasking Cross view debugger:
>
> Our company in looking into aquiring a CrossView debugger for the
> MOT56xxx devices. Does anyone use one of these? If so, does it ship
> with
> hardware to connect to the target board or do we also have to buy
> extra
> hardware? I assume if we do it would be from motorola? Is this
> correct?
> ADS?
>
> Cheers
> Graeme >


__________________________________________________


Tasking does not sell hardware.
You may want to buy an ADS or some type of Command Converter
if you want to connect to a custom target board.

The parallel port command converter is not built by Motorola, but it is the
cheapest.
(http://www.ocdemon.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTS&Product\
_Code=WIGGLER) >From: "Graeme Fisher" <>
>To: <>
>Subject: [motoroladsp] Re: Tasking debugger
>Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:01:50 +0200
>
>Hi,
>
>Regarding the Tasking Cross view debugger:
>
>Our company in looking into aquiring a CrossView debugger for the
>MOT56xxx devices. Does anyone use one of these? If so, does it ship with
>hardware to connect to the target board or do we also have to buy extra
>hardware? I assume if we do it would be from motorola? Is this correct?
>ADS?
>
>Cheers
>Graeme


_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*
http://join.msn.com/?pageatures/junkmail



I use the Tasking Crossview debugger (and Tasking C tools for
DSP56xxx). The debugger does not ship with hardware to connect to the
target. You can configure it to work with the debug port of the 56xxx
EVM boards, and also with the Parallel Command Converter to connect
to the JTAG connector (). I have used Crossview in both of these
modes. I bought my command converters from a third-party, don't
remember the vendor name, sorry. As I recall it was <$200 which is
cheap if you've ever priced emulator hardware.

I just looked at my Crossview target configuration dialog, and it
looks like it supports many other emulator hardware options, including
SB56K from Domain Technologies (http://www.domaintec.com/), ADM, and
something called PCI CC 563xx (I'm not familiar with that one).

John Wygonski

--- In , "Graeme Fisher" <gf@n...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the Tasking Cross view debugger:
>
> Our company in looking into aquiring a CrossView debugger for the
> MOT56xxx devices. Does anyone use one of these? If so, does it ship with
> hardware to connect to the target board or do we also have to buy extra
> hardware? I assume if we do it would be from motorola? Is this correct?
> ADS?
>
> Cheers
> Graeme



The PCI CC 563xx is likely refering to the Suite56 PCI Command
Converter. It's basically just a PCI card version of the Parallel Port
Command Converter, which is specifically geared for workstations, like
Sun, that don't have parallel ports. However, it is compatible with
Windows based host systems as well.

--- "wygonski <>" <> wrote:
> I just looked at my Crossview target configuration dialog, and it
> looks like it supports many other emulator hardware options,
> including
> SB56K from Domain Technologies (http://www.domaintec.com/), ADM, and
> something called PCI CC 563xx (I'm not familiar with that one).
>
> John Wygonski
>


__________________________________________________




The Parallel Port Command Converter was designed and is manufactured by
Macraigor Systems. However, it is available from Motorola under the
part number DSPCOMMPARALLEL.

--- mike belanger <> wrote:
> The parallel port command converter is not built by Motorola, but it
> is the
> cheapest.
>
(http://www.ocdemon.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTS&Product\
_Code=WIGGLER)

__________________________________________________



And presumably it's a lot faster than my Parallel Command Converter? (I get
impatient waiting more than a few seconds downloading a file with large
blocks of filter coefficients :).

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dbaudiopro [mailto:]
> Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:35 PM
> To: wygonski <>;
> Subject: Re: [motoroladsp] Re: Tasking debugger > The PCI CC 563xx is likely refering to the Suite56 PCI Command
> Converter. It's basically just a PCI card version of the Parallel Port
> Command Converter, which is specifically geared for workstations, like
> Sun, that don't have parallel ports. However, it is compatible with
> Windows based host systems as well.
>
> --- "wygonski <>" <> wrote:
> > I just looked at my Crossview target configuration dialog, and it
> > looks like it supports many other emulator hardware options,
> > including
> > SB56K from Domain Technologies (http://www.domaintec.com/), ADM, and
> > something called PCI CC 563xx (I'm not familiar with that one).
> >
> > John Wygonski
> > __________________________________________________
>





Not from my experience with both of them no. I've never put each to a
stop watch, nor a "head to head" competition. But I've used both for
loading the same code and didn't notice any difference. And yes it was
a large enough chunck of code to notice a difference (~45 seconds of
download time).

--- John Wygonski <> wrote:
> And presumably it's a lot faster than my Parallel Command Converter?
> (I get
> impatient waiting more than a few seconds downloading a file with
> large
> blocks of filter coefficients :).
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: dbaudiopro [mailto:]
> > Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:35 PM
> > To: wygonski <>;
> > Subject: Re: [motoroladsp] Re: Tasking debugger
> >
> >
> > The PCI CC 563xx is likely refering to the Suite56 PCI Command
> > Converter. It's basically just a PCI card version of the Parallel
> Port
> > Command Converter, which is specifically geared for workstations,
> like
> > Sun, that don't have parallel ports. However, it is compatible with
> > Windows based host systems as well.
> >
> > --- "wygonski <>" <> wrote:
> > > I just looked at my Crossview target configuration dialog, and it
> > > looks like it supports many other emulator hardware options,
> > > including
> > > SB56K from Domain Technologies (http://www.domaintec.com/), ADM,
> and
> > > something called PCI CC 563xx (I'm not familiar with that one).
> > >
> > > John Wygonski
> > >
> >
> >
> > __________________________________________________
>


__________________________________________________