DSPRelated.com
Forums

What's the difference between a spectrogram of the Doppler domain and the Doppler Spectral Density?

Started by ReachRF 5 years ago2 replieslatest reply 5 years ago504 views

Hello colleagues, 

Background: I've performed some measurements of Doppler shift in a mobile wireless channel with both transmitter (continuous wave) and receiver moving. In the spectrogram, I can clearly see specular and NLOS frequency components shifted due to the movement.

Quick question here: 

I've been using interchangeably these terms:

Doppler Spectral Density

Spectrogram of the Doppler Domain

Doppler Profile

Doppler Channel Response

Are these terms the same thing? 

Which phrase would you prefer?  Why? Or In What Context?

[ - ]
Reply by jbrowerDecember 5, 2018

ReachRF-

One comment I might make would be to be careful using the word "domain".  To see Doppler shift you are transforming data from time to frequency domain ... I don't see in the literature a carefully defined "Doppler domain".  For example the wikipedia page on "Pulse-Doppler signal processing" only mentions "domain" in context of time and frequency.

Spectrogram and spectrograph are two commonly used terms for viewing a series of frequency transforms over time, maybe if there is something "Doppler unique" about the frequency transforms you make to get that data, it might be a transformation into "the Doppler domain".  I do see mention of "range Doppler domain" so maybe that's it, but in that case it looks like FFT plus a combination of windowing and filtering before, and mapping *after*, the transformation into the frequency domain.

I could easily be wrong on this, but does seem to jump out at first glance.

-Jeff

[ - ]
Reply by ReachRFDecember 5, 2018

Jeff,

My sincere gratitude for your reply. Thoughtful, and insightful.

This is where I have struggled, too. In the literature, I first heard of "Doppler domain" from Skolnik, Introduction to Radar Systems (2nd Edition).

Where we can see that the origin is always 0Hz, and any increment (+/-) is the relative shift in carrier.

Yet, I have yet to see this used in other literature.

Your response has me leaning towards, "time-variant Doppler Spectral Density" (DSD), since I have seen that used recently in channel measurement literature (albeit circa 2009).

I have also come across, "Frequency-time Doppler profile" as recently as 2013, but that's a lot to write out each time, and FTDP looks weird.

So I'll stick with calling it: the time-variant DSD, even though the Density aspect doesn't really make sense to me since I'm using a sliding FFT (after removing carrier frequency offset). To me density makes more sense when computing probabilities.