DSPRelated.com
Forums

Phase Locked Loop Books in a time of DSP

Started by Tim Wescott 5 years ago9 replieslatest reply 5 years ago336 views
I was just explaining to my last remaining customer that when I need to do a phase locked loop in DSP, as likely as not I open my 28 year old book on phase locked loop circuit design, and translate from op-amps and caps and resistors to DSP algorithms, in my head.

Being a 100% software engineer, he can't do that, and since I'm working very part-time on this, he needs to feel confident taking as much of this out of my hands as possible.

I'm looking for a good description of doing continual bit timing recovery on NRZ data.  The technique I'm using currently is the bog-standard one of delaying the incoming samples by 1/2 a bit period, multiplying the original and the delayed versions together, and then multiplying that by a sine wave at the bit sample clock frequency to get a phase error, then finally running the thing through a PLL.  (The noise characteristics of the problem are such that doing data-directed synchronization is not the right approach).

I cannot for the life of me find a decent discussion of this technique on the web.  It seems like something that ought to be floating out there, but aside from some class notes, I'm repeatedly coming up with nothing.

So I'm looking for suggestions for

• Books that treat this problem in a way that someone with a pure software background can understand
  • Articles, ditto
  • Just freaking keywords that we can use to do searches (for God's sake!)

TIA.

[ - ]
Reply by SlartibartfastMarch 9, 2019

This treats the theory, but no code examples.  :(

http://www.compdsp.com/presentations/Jacobsen/abin...

[ - ]
Reply by Y(J)SMarch 9, 2019

There is a huge literature base on this. Search for "digital PLL" or more specifically "digital PLL symbol rate recovery".

A good book is "Digital Clocks for Synchronization and Communications". However, all of these books have more of an engineering than computer science approach. That is what drove me to write a DSP text for non-engineers, but the section on PLLs in my book is rather short, although there is also a section on timing recovery, which explains the technique you mention.

Y(J)S

[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsMarch 9, 2019

Hello Y(J)S. What's the title of your book?

[ - ]
DSPCSP (Digital Signal Processing, a Computer Science Perspective - Wiley 2000)
[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsMarch 9, 2019

Hello Y(J)S. Ah ha. I've seen that book's cover on the Internet before. Congratulations on having your book published.

[ - ]

Actually, it was published 19 years ago and is already sold out (except for the India and China versions).

It amazes me how much I would change if I would do a 2nd edition. So much has happened since then.

Y(J)S

[ - ]
Reply by kazMarch 9, 2019

Is the issue symbol timing recovery or carrier tracking (derotating). 

For fully digital implementation of Rx front end there are four distinct issues:

1) carrier tracking:

a) derotating by removing carrier residue frequency

b) locking phase in doing above

3) symbol timing recovery

a) tracking symbol rate

b) locking to symbol phase (peaks and dips)

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberMarch 9, 2019

Tim,

I'm not sure if it is appropriate, but you could do a search on "Time to Digital Converter" (TDC).

regards,

Neil

[ - ]
Reply by qasim_chaudhariMarch 9, 2019

Hi Tim,

Here is one paper which can help you.

Simultaneous clock phase and frequency offset estimation,

K.E. Scott ; E.B. Olasz

IEEE Trans on Comms. 1995

The main concept is the emergence of a symbol rate sinusoid in a squared PAM signal stream. Squaring operation, however, drowns the frequency offset information. So delay and multiplication which you're talking about is based on a similar principle but for both clock phase and frequency offset estimation, for which the paper is a good reference.