Forums

[FAR Off Topic] Backup email providder - Help please

Started by Richard Owlett July 27, 2018
I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much".
My email provider is having 'problems'.
I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days.
Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in 
rural SW Missouri.
I just did not realize how much I would miss email.

Are there any ethical free email providers.
TIA

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 15:11:31 -0500, Richard Owlett
<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

>I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >My email provider is having 'problems'. >I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >rural SW Missouri. >I just did not realize how much I would miss email. > >Are there any ethical free email providers. >TIA >
Gmail is still around. "Ethical" is subjective, so you'll have to sort that one out on your own. ;)
Richard Owlett  <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

>I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >My email provider is having 'problems'. >I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >rural SW Missouri. >I just did not realize how much I would miss email. > >Are there any ethical free email providers.
None that I am aware. I don't use gmail (too much harvesting of data) but I do use Yahoo mail for specific things, which is still free, but not as my main email and they have had some privacy and security issues. Fastmail/speedymail is still around but have clamped down on the amount of space that can be had for free. But probably ethical. An option is panix.com at $100/year (last I checked), and with panix you can still read email from a shell. Steve
In article <J-OdnReglfnp4cbGnZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@supernews.com>,
Richard Owlett  <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >My email provider is having 'problems'. >I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >rural SW Missouri. >I just did not realize how much I would miss email. > >Are there any ethical free email providers.
Richard - your first, and last sentences tend to conflict each other. I pay for my email box - seperate from my ISP. I really don't care for most ISP derivrd emails - too many adds, tracking, unreliability, or other garbage comes with it. There are a variety of paid email boxes available. I currently recommend fastmail.com - they're middle option offering are $50/year. And it works with my own domain name too. They offer a cheaper option too ($30/year). (No domain name support in the cheaper option) For me, that's a very reasonable rate. I'm just a happy user. Baring that, I notice many in this newsgroup use an ieee email address. I don't know any of the details there (cost?, Reliable?), but if you're a member, this might be a nice option too. Regards, Mark
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 20:31:49 -0000 (UTC), gtwrek@sonic.net (gtwrek)
wrote:

>In article <J-OdnReglfnp4cbGnZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@supernews.com>, >Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote: >>I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >>My email provider is having 'problems'. >>I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >>Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >>rural SW Missouri. >>I just did not realize how much I would miss email. >> >>Are there any ethical free email providers. > >Richard - your first, and last sentences tend to conflict each other. > >I pay for my email box - seperate from my ISP. I really don't care for >most ISP derivrd emails - too many adds, tracking, unreliability, >or other garbage comes with it. > >There are a variety of paid email boxes available. I currently >recommend fastmail.com - they're middle option offering are $50/year. >And it works with my own domain name too. They offer a cheaper >option too ($30/year). (No domain name support in the cheaper >option) > >For me, that's a very reasonable rate. I'm just a happy user. > >Baring that, I notice many in this newsgroup use an ieee email address. >I don't know any of the details there (cost?, Reliable?), but if you're >a member, this might be a nice option too. > >Regards, > >Mark
The ieee domain is just a forwarder, there has to be a destination email address behind it. Plus it's a Google service that the ieee uses, so that may be a factor for some.
I would also mention that if your ISP is Sonic, they have high
standards of privacy, including their email.

Steve
On 07/27/2018 03:31 PM, gtwrek wrote:
> In article <J-OdnReglfnp4cbGnZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@supernews.com>, > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote: >> I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >> My email provider is having 'problems'. >> I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >> Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >> rural SW Missouri. >> I just did not realize how much I would miss email. >> >> Are there any ethical free email providers. > > Richard - your first, and last sentences tend to conflict each other.
No. Based on the rest of what you wrote, you agree with me.
> > I pay for my email box - seperate from my ISP.
As do I! My ISP is T-Mobile. I can drive less than 5 miles to speak to *OWNER* of email provider!
> I really don't care for > most ISP derivrd emails - too many adds, tracking, unreliability, > or other garbage comes with it.
Careful. You are supporting me. ;/ *ROFL*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > There are a variety of paid email boxes available.
NSMW This is the first time in decades they have failed me. I am looking for cheap/free backup ;/
> I currently > recommend fastmail.com - they're middle option offering are $50/year. > And it works with my own domain name too. They offer a cheaper > option too ($30/year). (No domain name support in the cheaper > option) > > For me, that's a very reasonable rate. I'm just a happy user.
I also happy user. They cost less and I have access to CEO/COO/Owner ... ;/
> > Baring that, I notice many in this newsgroup use an ieee email address. > I don't know any of the details there (cost?, Reliable?), but if you're > a member, this might be a nice option too. > > Regards, > > Mark > >
Steve Pope wrote:
> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote: > >> I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >> My email provider is having 'problems'. >> I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >> Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >> rural SW Missouri. >> I just did not realize how much I would miss email. >> >> Are there any ethical free email providers. > > None that I am aware. I don't use gmail (too much harvesting > of data) but I do use Yahoo mail for specific things, which is still free, > but not as my main email and they have had some privacy and security > issues. >
I still use Netscape/Seamonkey and Yahoo mail refuses to support it. Annoying. I have to run Chrome to read email now.
> Fastmail/speedymail is still around but have clamped down on > the amount of space that can be had for free. But probably ethical. > > An option is panix.com at $100/year (last I checked), and with panix > you can still read email from a shell. > > Steve >
-- Les Cargill
On 07/28/2018 05:13 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote: >> Richard Owlett&nbsp; <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote: >> >>> I am of opinion that "free" can "cost too much". >>> My email provider is having 'problems'. >>> I've dealt with them for decades - they were my ISP in dial-up days. >>> Their solar system headquarters is less than 5 miles from my home in >>> rural SW Missouri. >>> I just did not realize how much I would miss email. >>> >>> Are there any ethical free email providers. >> >> None that I am aware.&nbsp; I don't use gmail (too much harvesting >> of data) but I do use Yahoo mail for specific things, which is still >> free, >> but not as my main email and they have had some privacy and security >> issues. >> > > I still use Netscape/Seamonkey and Yahoo mail refuses to support it. > Annoying. I have to run Chrome to read email now.
That's a killer for me as I use SeaMonkey. Chrome is not an option for me as I steer clear of Google anything.
> >> Fastmail/speedymail is still around but have clamped down on >> the amount of space that can be had for free.&nbsp; But probably ethical. >>
I looked up "fastmail" and "speedymail". I may not landed at appropriate URLs, but I didn't see anything suitable. Thanks for the replies.
Richard Owlett  <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

>I looked up "fastmail" and "speedymail". >I may not landed at appropriate URLs, but I didn't see anything suitable.
Yes, it looks like they no longer have a free email service, which they ran for many years. I formerly used it in my "Reply to" field on Usenet. I really recommend Panix, their basic $100/year service. http://www.panix.net/shell/#features I'm guessing Seamonkey can interface to IMAP or POP. Steve