DSPRelated.com
Forums

Matlab Basic Functions Reference (pdf)

Started by neirober 3 years ago6 replieslatest reply 3 years ago225 views

Matlab has posted a pdf document that lists basic functions.  Here is a link to the pdf.

-- Neil

[ - ]
Reply by jtp_1960January 8, 2021
[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsJanuary 8, 2021

Hi Neil.

Thanks for providing the link to the useful PDF file.

[ - ]
Reply by kazJanuary 8, 2021

Thanks for the link.

After 30 years Mathworks gets it tidy. Better than never. I think they have copied it from a third party user as I have seen similar tables in a 2008 book.

[ - ]
Reply by philipoakleyJanuary 8, 2021

It would be nice if they also included a note/clarification about the row/column, X-Y, angle conventions for 'row vectors' etc.

The conventions can confuse many, especially for graphs when 2d image processing!

[ - ]
Reply by kazJanuary 8, 2021

True row/column could be confusing. I am not sure what you mean by X-Y, angle...etc

Here are notes from an old post of mine:

The terminology of rows/columns of a matrix can be confusing.  

Matlab(and hence Octave) views x(r,c) as r = number of rows, c =  number of columns.

however,visually r then indicates number of samples per column and c number of samples per row.

Matlab(and Octave) functions work columnwise i.e. all samples in one column are viewed as one vector.

[ - ]
Reply by philipoakleyJanuary 8, 2021

Maybe it needs    A=[1 2 3 4 5 6]; A(:)

and    B = [1 2 3; 4 5 6]; B(:)

to highlight the internal ordering. (Perhaps along with sum(A) and sum (B) just to clarify..)

The angle thing is that a textbook X-Y plot has X to the right, and Y upward, yet for Matlab matrix indexing, it's down then across, which easily causes confusion. It's just as confusing for angles on 2d images (and for the 'z' direction of hopefully right-handed co-ordinates). Text book angles are anti-clockwise, adding to the confusion.

Then we have  atan2(1,2)  versus  angle(complex(1,2))  so having a paragraph in the cheat sheet for that would also help.