DSPRelated.com
Forums

RF switching matrix for DOA.

Started by SenSen 6 years ago3 replieslatest reply 6 years ago97 views
Interested to design an RF Switching Matrix driving a <6Ghz signal from 5 antennas to 2 RX Channels, of the following structure:

matrix_19805.png

The possible inputs into the receiver should be:

RX0

RX1

Considering to use a DPDT switch(2X2), in the following constellation:

matrix_struct_47792.png

Taking into account that the cost of the matrix is one of the most important factors in the design, wondered what could be a more efficient constellation and used elements.

Thanks in Advance.

[ - ]
Reply by SlartibartfastSeptember 6, 2018

You'll also want to consider that each stage will have some insertion loss and Noise Figure, so cascading them like that might be costly from a performance perspective.  If you're looking for switched-diversity gain, you may want to have a receiver connected to each antenna, anyway, to estimate SNR for each, and then switch after either the final LNA or even after the ADC.  The cost/performance tradeoff for each approach may be subjective depending on other constraints.

Just something to think about.

[ - ]
Reply by SenSenSeptember 6, 2018

Thank you for the fast and insightful comment.

Connecting a receiver to each antenna can not be considered, as the system must be as low cost as possible. As a result, a single 2X2 receiver is planned to be used.

The other parameters of the system will surely be taken into account.

However, first I need to understand the most basic structure and the cost of each such switch.

[ - ]
Reply by mukulSeptember 6, 2018

Can you please explain or provide link about how are you going to use this matrix for DoA? I might help you if I know the scheme.