DSPRelated.com
Forums

Determine Classical Phase Noise from EVM

Started by maxplus 2 years ago8 replieslatest reply 2 years ago265 views

Hello

I want to derive the phase noise profile for a given EVM thst satisfy certain SNR and Rx sensitivity. 

How do I determine the classical phase noise please? 

[ - ]
Reply by fharrisMarch 2, 2022

see paper tagged below ( I coudn't attach it for some reason) It shows evm plots for different anomalies in modulation process

Vector Signal Analyzer Implemented as a Synthetic Instrument

fred h

[ - ]
Reply by maxplusMarch 2, 2022

Hello,

There is no link to the paper. Could you please re-send? Thank you 

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberMarch 2, 2022

Hi Maxplus,

I wrote a blog post: "Model Signal Impairments at Complex Baseband" that computes a QAM constellation with added phase noise.  It also calculates MER (modulation error ratio).  https://www.dsprelated.com/showarticle/1312.php.

regards,

Neil

fig 14_54588.png

[ - ]

Thank you. I shall look into this. To determine the classical phase noise of PLL from EVM, do you need to know the integration BW.

I understand that integration BW is a function of modulation BW, what is the rule of thumb for specifying it.

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberMarch 2, 2022

I haven't tried to calculate phase noise from EVM or MER. I used to measure the noise spectrum of the unmodulated carrier on a spectrum analyzer and record the noise density in dB (1 Hz) at the desired frequencies.

[ - ]
Reply by fharrisMarch 2, 2022

here is paper Vector Signal Analyzer Implemented as a Synthetic Instrument.

I can't attach paper,,, send me an email address and I'll pass it on

fred h

[ - ]

My email address is sjraza996@gmail.com 

[ - ]
Reply by stephanebMarch 2, 2022

Hey fred,  could you please email me a copy of the paper as well?  I need to figure out why you are unable to attach it to your message.

Thanks!