DSPRelated.com
Forums

The adoption of the frequency measure "Hertz"

Started by Rick Lyons 7 years ago6 replieslatest reply 7 years ago205 views
Digging through some old papers, I found the following on a page that I tore out of the November 1965 Hewlett-Packard Journal:

hertz_85733.jpg

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberMarch 30, 2017

So you could say that they put Hertz in the driver's seat.

[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsMarch 30, 2017

Neil, your keen sense of humor put the following look on my face:

baby_14187.jpg
[ - ]
Reply by JOSMarch 30, 2017

I am glad to learn that the IEEE was simply following the lead of major standards bodies.  I've always thought the standard should be 'cps', and if we're going to use a proper name, then it's got to be capitalized as Hertz (Hz).

[ - ]
Reply by Y(J)SMarch 30, 2017

The SI convention regarding units that are proper names is that when spelled out they are NOT capitalized (thus ampere, volt, coulomb) unless used as modifiers (e.g., degrees Celsius), but (as other units) ARE capitalized when abbreviated (kHz, MV, mA).

Y(J)S

[ - ]
Reply by SlartibartfastMarch 30, 2017

I still have my cps to Hz conversion chart that my first manager gave me as a joke.   One axis is logarithmic so it makes a nice curve.

[ - ]
Reply by jimelectrMarch 30, 2017

Note also that near the end of the article the use of SI units (metric) instead of British-American (as they put it) units was encouraged.  At least we EE's use meters and such for wavelength, watts for power, joules for energy, and so on.  Still, more than 50 years later, the mechanical engineers are still using inches, horsepower, BTUs, etc. Sigh... I think the situation is really bad these days because you have to know both.  Let's put everything into SI units once and for all and get it over with.