DSPRelated.com
Forums

How to set filter specification for Decimation process

Started by gabrics 6 years ago10 replieslatest reply 6 years ago296 views

Hi, i'm new to DSP so i'd like to understand something about decimation. This is what i have : a sinusoidal signal,about 200MHz sampled with a 500 MSPS ADC then demodulated and filtered(lock-in).The signal is completely buried in the noise. The problem is the filtering process because the sampling rate of the system is 500 MHZ(clock). I need to select a bandwidth of about 10 KHz so the only way to do this is implementing a multirate filter. Problably i misundersand something about decimation but i'm not sure about the design of the antialiasing filter before the decimation. From the frequency domain the spectrum spread every decimation process but in this case,that the aliasing is unavoidable due to noise, i don't understand the optimal number of cascaded filter that i have to put in the design. I'm using simulink and these are the two options that i can choose: 

1) fir decimate block

2) manualy put a filter and a decimator

In both case i use Fsample= 500MHz 

case 1) automaticaly generate the magnitude response by knowing the sampling frequency and the decimation factor, this is what a get:

2018-09-16 13_14_04-filter visualization

In this case the passband region is very flat and the -3db point is at 50MHz but it requires a lot of multipliers due to(i think) the flatness in the passband region.

case 2) do i need that flatness? As i sayd early, the aliasing is unavoidable in my case and the information is demodulated near 0Hz. So that's the question: can i design a filter like this? less multiplier are required and a -3db point of around 10 MHz  allow to downsample to 50 instead of 5

2018-09-16 13_50_03-block parameters_ dc

I'd like to thank with everyone that will help.

[ - ]
Reply by kazSeptember 16, 2018

The rule of decimation (assuming Fs_in, Fs_out) is that:

1) If there is no power beyond Fs_out/2 then you can decimate directly. This doesn't apply to adc acquired signal.

2) If there is power at Fs_out/2 then cutoff there (or earlier if it helps next stage).

your thoughts about noise ...etc aren't clear. There is noise, yes but you don't want to concentrate all the noise into smaller and smaller band so you must cut it off before decimation(else it aliases into new shorter band). 

With multistage decimators you may allow some aliasing if you know you are going to chop it off later in next stages.

I suggest you use cascade of FIR decimators or use CIC

[ - ]
Reply by gabricsSeptember 16, 2018
ok thank you, i was not clear at all. I Perfectly agree and understand what you say about filtering before decimation, in the same way that is used to do with an antialiasing filter before the ADC.

I'll try to use CIC filters. Thanks again

[ - ]
Reply by Tim WescottSeptember 16, 2018

Quoting things out of order:

"I need to select a bandwidth of about 10 KHz so the only way to do this is implementing a multirate filter."

No.  If you need a bandwidth of about 10kHz, you need a filter, to be sure, but there is no fundamental need for it to be a multirate filter.

It may be more convenient to use a multirate filter, because if you're truly only interested in a 10kHz bandwidth then there's absolutely no need to sample faster than 100kHz or so, and you can get away with less.

"The problem is the filtering process because the sampling rate of the system is 500 MHZ(clock)."

And this is a problem because?  I assume you mean because you have that sampling rate and not enough room in your FPGA to run the whole processing chain at 500Msps -- but again, there's no fundamental reason you can't do it at 500MHz throughout.

"A sinusoidal signal,about 200MHz sampled with a 500 MSPS ADC then demodulated and filtered(lock-in).The signal is completely buried in the noise."

I sincerely hope that you're contemplating doing the demodulation before you do any decimation.  I also hope that you're considering the fact that your 200MHz signal has an alias at 300MHz after sampling.  You should be fine with the problem as you've laid it out, but if you need to lock onto a signal at much higher than 200MHz you may run into problems.

Are you steering the demodulator frequency with the output of your 10kHz-wide filter?  Or are you just filtering to 10kHz wide and amplifying?  If the former, then your filter is inside of a feedback loop, and things get complicated -- I'm not going to go into how, but do tell us if that's the case.

[ - ]

Sorry i mean that 10 Khz is obtainable only if you use a multirate stage cause using a single stage results in extreme lenght of the filter. 500 Mhz is a problem for what i sayd just now about filter, is the frequency that i need to generate the sinusoidal signals with a DDS and i can perfectly run at that frequency,the problem is related to filtering. So i'm completely agree with you about these suggestions. The max frequency i need is 200 MHZ so the alis component at 300 MHZ is not a problem and yes, the demodulation is done before the decimation. I'm in the latter case, i just need to filter as much noise as i can so for now i just suppose to select 10 KHZ of BW. Thanks for your suggestions, best regards.

[ - ]
Reply by dszaboSeptember 16, 2018

I don’t totally follow what your requirements are, but I’m happy to share what I know about it.  It sounds like you want to apply a filter to your signal, but your sample rate is prohibitively large.  If that is the case, I believe the best tool for the job is a polyphase filter, such that the resampling and filtering take place in a single operation, providing a more efficient implementation.  Alternatively, you could use an aggressive CIC filter and decimate after it.

In terms of specifying the filter, you need to define the decimation factor, I.e your output sample rate.  This should be equal to 2 times your desired bandwidth plus some margin.  The transition band is the difference between your output nyquist frequency and your desired bandwidth. The smaller the transition band and the higher the attenuation, the longer your filter needs to be. In other words, by building in more margin, the less computationally expensive your filter becomes.

With that in mind, I don’t understand why your transition band in the first example doesn’t start at 10Mhz, which I assume is the desired output bandwidth. Next, the size of the transition band sets your filter complexity.  Lastly, your decimation factor sets how much aliasing occurs.  If nyquist occurs at or above that first null, aliasing should be minimal.  If you set it lower, aliasing will occur and it becomes a judgment call as to how much you can stomach. Hope that helps

[ - ]
ok, everything should be clear now. In the first case the transition band start at around 50 Mhz as expected because i chose a decimation factor of 5. Clearly in the second case we will have more aliasing, so hoping to be more clear i'll try to explain better: the question is related to the noise improvement that i want to obtain at the end. Let's say i want a SNR improvement of 30 DB so in the implementation of the filter, as in the second case, i can refer to other frequency point(not cutoff) that gives but some value around -50Db in a way that the noise and the aliasing could be neglected and after that choosing the decimation factor. What i want to say is that i've not necessary have to refer to the cutoff frequency of the filter but i can choose a frequency point that meets the project requirement. Is it right?

Thank you very much

[ - ]
Reply by kazSeptember 16, 2018

Firstly SNR depends on inband noise and out of band noise. With filtering you can reduce out of band noise or leave to alias and so reduce SNR relative to ADC output. You will never be able to remove inband noise.

The cutoff frequency depends on your requirements i.e. what bandwidth you want to end up with. In the decimation stages you follow that rule I explained earlier. Cut off at Fs_out/2 of that stage or less or more provided next stages are aware what to do.

[ - ]

ok that's clear,thanks again

[ - ]
Reply by dszaboSeptember 16, 2018

Yeah. When you spec a decimation filter, it’s not so much the ‘cutoff’ that we’re talking about.  Instead, we talk about the pass, transition and stop bands.  You want the stop band to begin at the output nyquist frequency to minimize aliasing.  If your pass band ends at the nyquist, all of the transition band will alias.  To your point, the designer can decide how much aliasing they can tolerate and choose the decimation factor and anti aliasing filter accordingly

[ - ]

perfect,thanks ;)