DSPRelated.com
Forums

Practical digital communications book

Started by simonzz 4 years ago6 replieslatest reply 4 years ago918 views

Hi all,

I am trying to gain more practical experience in DSP for digital communications and SDR with FPGAs and programmable devices (I am not new to embedded systems and FPGAs).

Regarding to the related theory, my book references are:

• Digital Communications by John Proakis & Masoud Salehi
  • Synchronization Techniques for Digital Receivers by Umberto Mengali & Aldo N. D'Andrea.

I am satisfied with these two (famous) books, but these are most focused on the theory.

The only book focused also on practice that I have found is:

• Digital Signal Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays by U. Meyer Baese - Springer

Do you know any other book that covers practical aspects of digital communication systems design and implementation ?

Thanks.

s.

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberNovember 15, 2019

Hi Simonzz,

A good book that covers theory and practice is Digital Communications, A Discrete-Time Approach, by Michael Rice. (Pearson, 2009).  Among other topics, it includes details of carrier recovery and clock recovery for QAM.  Note the presentation is at a block diagram level, not device level.  Also, it does not cover OFDM in significant detail.  You will want to get the Errata, since there are quite a few mistakes in it.

regards,

Neil

[ - ]
Reply by TreefarmerNovember 15, 2019

You might look at Programming FPGAs by Simon Monk.

A general work on DSP is The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing By Steven W. Smith, Ph.D.

[ - ]
Reply by dgshaw6November 15, 2019

One of the best books I have found recently, that is very practical, but not down to the FPGA level, is Digital Signal Processing in Modern Communications Systems, by Andreas Schwarzinger.

It is self published and comes at a very reasonable price of about $29.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Signal-Processing-Communication-Systems/dp/0988873508

It has very lucid discussions and lots of Matlab examples.  It covers topics from basic concepts of DSP and Communications, through OFDM and an introduction to MIMO.

I have no affiliation with Andreas, and so I am complete un-biased in my recommendation.

[ - ]
Reply by cornishmanNovember 15, 2019

Hi Simonzz,

I am working in wireless creating remote radio head designs on FPGAs. I was given the task of creating the processing designs from scratch in Xilinx FPGAs and found the tricks and techniques section from Richard Lyons' Understanding Digital Signal Processing book to be spot on for the implementations needed. I already knew how to code FPGA designs but this helped me create an efficient design for which all of the pieces of the puzzle slotted together. I now recommend it to new employees.

Cheers,
Chris.

[ - ]
Reply by borsodiNovember 15, 2019

Hi Simonzz,

Another good book on all aspects of digital communications is Digital Communications with Emphasis on Data Modems: Theory, Analysis, Design, Simulation, Testing, and Applications by Richard Middlestead (2017).

Regards,

Tom

[ - ]
Reply by simonzzNovember 15, 2019

Hello guys, 

Thak you all for your participation. 

My goal was to find, if possible, a book with the same U. Meyer Baese's approach.

After a deeper search which includes this post as well, I am finally convinced that its book is the only one of this kind of device level approach. I did not found any one similar.. 

Best wishes. 

s.