DSPRelated.com
Forums

The Nyquist Sampling Theorem

Started by Rick Lyons 1 year ago14 replieslatest reply 1 year ago336 views
I asked the ChatGPT artificial intelligence (AI) software to write a song about
the Nyquist Sampling Theorem in the style of Bob Dylan. Here's what the AI produced:

Verse 1:
My mind was a-buzzin' with knowledge of Nyquist
A theorem to master, a theorem to list
Sampling, it taught me, of frequencies twice
The data was quantized, and it sounded so nice

Chorus:
The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, it's the way to go
It'll keep your data where you want it, you'll know
Ain't no trouble to master, just stick to the rules
The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, it's the way to choose

Verse 2:
The data was encoded, it was ready to fly
But the sampling rate, it was too low and too high
So Nyquist told us what we had to do
Keep the rate just right, and the data will be true

Chorus:
The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, it's the way to go
It'll keep your data where you want it, you'll know
Ain't no trouble to master, just stick to the rules
The Nyquist Sampling Theorem, it's the way to choose

Verse 3:
Now this theorem it works, it's a scientific fact
So don't forget . . . it is exact
[ - ]
Reply by omersayliFebruary 16, 2023

pretty good 

[ - ]
Reply by jms_nhFebruary 16, 2023

hahahahaha isn't it great what the abundant computing resources of Moore's Law have provided...

That seems to work very well to the tune of Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again.

[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsFebruary 16, 2023

Hi Jason.

I wasn’t familiar with the “Stuck Inside of Mobile” song. I listened to it on YouTube but the song’s lyrics made no sense to me. (Perhaps I should have a double Kentucky bourbon and listen to those lyrics again.)

I’m not criticizing Bob Dylan, for the lyrics of so many of his songs are perhaps the most profound and beautiful poetry produced in the last 60 years.

Jason, years ago folk singer Arlo Guthrie was asked how he accomplished song writing. He answered with something like, “Writing a song is like fishing. You cast your line into the river and hope to catch some good words. The problem is, we’re all downstream from Bob Dylan.”
[ - ]
Reply by jms_nhFebruary 16, 2023

> but the song’s lyrics made no sense to me.

Exactly! It's magnificent in its inscrutability. "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Blonde on Blonde" are my two favorite albums.

I just tried to imagine Dylan singing those Nyquist words to something and that was the first tune that popped up into my head.

[ - ]
Reply by yatesFebruary 16, 2023

...but it's wrong. Look at verse 2. Data samples at Fs > 2*BW will be just fine ("true").

[ - ]
Reply by ab3apFebruary 16, 2023

Gotta pair it up with VALL-E now.  :-)

[ - ]

Hi ab3ap.

Oh shoot. I don’t know what “VALL-E” is.

[ - ]
Reply by neiroberFebruary 16, 2023

"In the style of Bob Dylan" is a lot to ask -- The song sounds more like a cross between Dylan and Dr. Seuss.

[ - ]

Hi Neil.

Ha ha. You're more perceptive than I am.

[ - ]
Reply by PlatybelFebruary 16, 2023

I appreciate the originality of the question by a human to a robot and the originality of the poem by the robot in answer to the human.  I am no poet myself, but it reads pretty good to me.

[ - ]

Hi Platybel. 

The robot certainly did a better job than I could have.

[ - ]

Now all we have to do is convince the guitar-playing guys on the web site to come up with some guitar chord progressions, using Dylan's oddball "suspended" chords, to accompany the robot's lyrics. Eric Jacobsen, what do you think?

[ - ]
Reply by Robert WolfeFebruary 16, 2023

get 10 DSP engineers into a room, and 8 of them will play guitar :)

[ - ]
Reply by engineer68February 16, 2023

Being a musician and involved in music production, I wonder how many lyrics we already have in the market that have been "composed" using such automatic methods.

And further, I wonder how to deal with copyright issues when making use of them as a producer. For example, I find it quite difficult to write lyrics and use a professional music lyrics writer. So the interesting question is on the one hand if it is free to use such a text and on the other hand if it is accepted by the rights managers who usually monitor the copyrights of the lyricists and if thirdly then royalties can be charged by them one behalf on mine. Currently, if I submit a text via the studio, for example, I am the author and it may not be copied. But no one checks where I got it from.  So far ...