DSPRelated.com
Forums

Off Topic: Binary Numbers

Started by Rick Lyons 6 years ago7 replieslatest reply 5 years ago311 views

In a letter dated February 26, 1701, now in the collection of the French Academy of Sciences, German mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz wrote the following lines:

"I enclose an attempt to devise a numerical system that may prove to be completely new. Briefly, here is what it is... By using a binary system based on the number 2 instead of the decimal system based on the number 10, I am able to write all numbers in terms of 0 and 1. I have done this not for mere practical reasons, but rather to allow new discoveries to be made... This system can lead to new information that would be difficult to obtain in any other way."

leibniz figure_76544.jpg

[ - ]
Reply by fpgaplayerNovember 9, 2018

At least 2000 years ago, the primordial "Bagua" appeared.

Don't know what's this? Haha...

untitled_28242.png

In China, crystal ball was useless, the wizard can predict everything from Bagua. I know this from birth. :)

[ - ]
Reply by sami_aldalahmahNovember 9, 2018

Amazing

[ - ]
Reply by mukulNovember 9, 2018
[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsNovember 9, 2018

Hi mukul.

Of course I didn't read that long Pingala PDF file, but reading page 6 did not give me any clue that Pingala thought about representing decimal numbers using a system of binary numbers.

[ - ]
Reply by woodpeckerNovember 9, 2018

Seems like Leibniz also invented a type of mechanical calculator.

Not sure if there was a binary version . . .

[ - ]
Reply by Rick LyonsNovember 9, 2018

Hi woodpecker. Thanks for the interesting link. I saw that Leibniz' idea was used in Curta calculators. I'd like to have one of those calculators but they cost roughly $1,000 on ebay. Check out the following poster:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-CURTA-CALCULATOR-POST...

[ - ]
Reply by fpgaplayerNovember 9, 2018